ACIP Recommendations for the Use of Influenza Vaccines During the 2017-18 Season
August 31, 2017
On August 25, 2017, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's (CDC) Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) recommended that all persons 6 months and older receive an annual influenza vaccination for the prevention and control of influenza. For the 2017-18 season, quadrivalent and trivalent influenza vaccines are available. Updates to the recommendations reflect discussions during public meetings of ACIP held on October 20, 2016; February 22, 2017; and June 21, 2017.
The latest updates include the following:
- Vaccine viruses included in the 2017-18 U.S. trivalent influenza vaccines will be an A/Michigan/45/2015 (H1N1)pdm09-like virus, an A/Hong Kong/4801/2014 (H3N2)-like virus, and a B/Brisbane/60/2008-like virus (Victoria lineage). Quadrivalent influenza vaccines will contain these three viruses and an additional influenza B vaccine virus, a B/Phuket/3073/2013-like virus (Yamagata lineage).
- Information on recent licensures and labeling changes is discussed, including licensure of Afluria Quadrivalent (IIV4; Seqirus, Parkville, Victoria, Australia); Flublok Quadrivalent (RIV4; Protein Sciences, Meriden, Connecticut); and expansion of the age indication for FluLaval Quadrivalent (IIV4; ID Biomedical Corporation of Quebec, Quebec City, Quebec, Canada), previously licensed for 3 years and older, to 6 months and older.
- Pregnant women may receive any licensed, recommended, age-appropriate influenza vaccine.
- Afluria (IIV3; Seqirus, Parkville, Victoria, Australia) may be used for persons aged 5 years and older, consistent with Food and Drug Administration-approved labeling.
- FluMist Quadrivalent (LAIV4; MedImmune, Gaithersburg, Maryland) should not be used during the 2017-18 season due to concerns about it effectiveness against influenza A(H1N1)pdm09 viruses in the United States during the 2013-14 and 2015-16 influenza seasons.
Be Prepared This Season
With MyFluVaccine, you can select from our comprehensive products portfolio and choose your preferred delivery date(s). As always, to give you more flexibility, we recommend that you split your order(s) among multiple presentations and manufacturers.
|Fluvirin 5 mL||SOLD OUT|
|Fluvirin 0.5 mL PFS||SOLD OUT|
|Afluria 5 mL MDV||SOLD OUT|
|Afluria 0.5 mL PFS||SOLD OUT|
|Fluad 0.5 mL PFS||ORDER NOW|
|Afluria Quad 5 mL MDV||SOLD OUT|
|Afluria Quad 0.5 mL PFS||SOLD OUT|
|Flucelvax Quad 5 mL MDV||ORDER NOW|
|Flucelvax Quad 0.5 mL PFS||ORDER NOW|
|Fluzone Quad 5 mL MDV||SOLD OUT|
|Fluzone Quad 0.25 mL PFS||ORDER NOW|
|Fluzone Quad 0.5 mL PFS||ORDER NOW|
|Fluzone Quad 0.5 mL SDV||ORDER NOW|
|Fluzone High-Dose 0.5 mL PFS||ORDER NOW|
|Fluzone Intradermal Quad 0.1 mL PFS||ORDER NOW|
|FluLaval Quad 5 mL MDV||SOLD OUT|
|Fluarix Quad 0.5 mL PFS||SOLD OUT|
|FluMist Quad 0.2 mL PFS||ORDER NOW|
|Flublok Quad 0.5 mL PFS||ORDER NOW|